UNESCO-UNAOC UNITWIN on Media and Information Literacy and Intercultural Dialogue
UNESCO and UNAOC have created the UNESCO-UNAOC UNITWIN Global Chair on Media and Information Literacy and Intercultural Dialogue (“UNESCO-UNAOC MILID UNITWIN”).
UAC-MILID specific objectives include:
- Act as a Observatory for critically analyzing: the role of Media and Information Literacy (“MIL”) as a catalyst for civic participation, democracy and development; for the promotion of free, independent and pluralistic media; as well as MIL’s contribution to the prevention and resolution of conflicts and intercultural tensions and polarizations.
- Enhance intercultural and cooperative research on MIL and the exchanges between universities and mass media, encouraging MIL’s initiatives towards respecting human rights and dignity and cultural diversity.
- Develop within the participant universities educational and media production practices that contribute to dissolving prejudice and intercultural barriers and favour global dialogue and cooperation among citizens as well as social and political institutions around the world. In addition to the international dimension, these practices will be reflected at the local level in the 8 cities or neighbourhoods in which the partner universities are located.
- Promote global actions relating to MIL (including adaptation of the UNESCO MIL Curriculum for Teacher Education and other relevant tools, publications, congresses, seminars, teaching resources, and faculty and students’ exchanges) that could contribute towards stimulating dialogue and understanding among people of and within different cultures and societies.
- Create a virtual centre to research on, and study and develop MIL initiatives aimed at the creation of projects and publications linking universities and research centres.
- Promote and support other global media initiatives that could reinforce civic participation through open, free and independent media and information systems that favour intercultural dialogue and cooperation.
- Encourage and support citizen participation as well as educational and cultural institutions whose initiatives promote media and information literacy, cooperation and intercultural dialogue.
UNESCO-UNAOC MILID UNITWIN current universities include:
- The Autonomous University of Barcelona, Spain
- Cairo University, Egypt
- Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
- Temple University, Philadelphia, USA
- The University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Queensland University of Technology, Australia
- University of the West Indies, Mona, Jamaica
- Sidi Mohamed Ben Abdellah University, Fez, Morocco
For information on UNESCO-UNAOC MILID UNITWIN, please contact Jordi Torrent, firstname.lastname@example.org